Friday, August 21, 2015

UNFinished On a Busy Friday

Pineapple Log Cabin, Block #16 of 36
I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything, but I really am making progress on some of my projects.  It's just really SLOW progress.  I finished another paper pieced pineapple log cabin block, finishing at 17 3/4" with 97 pieces per block. 


Goal Visualization, Courtesy of EQ7
Procrastinating on my skirt project has reinvigorated my zeal for paper piecing these pineapples!  Seriously, though -- I need a quiet house and my full concentration before I dig into the skirt again, so it might have to wait until the kids start back to school on Monday.  Which is three days away.  Not that I'm counting or anything...

I've also been working on my Frankenwhiggish Rose needle turned applique blocks.  Rather I have been working on appliqueing the layered petals off the blocks, I should say:

28 Petals Finished, 4 More To Go
It FEELS like I have been sewing the same little petal over and over again, like I'm Bill Murray starring in a quilt-themed remake of the film Groundhog Day, but actually I have finished all of the petals for seven blocks and I just have four more to go.  So it's almost time to get those remaining eight block backgrounds pieced together and get all of the stems made and stitched down.  Then I can start appliqueing the petals onto the blocks and I think it will feel more like progress is being made once the blocks start coming together. 

Block 1 of 9 Completed
The silk thread felt weird and slippery to me at first, but I've gotten used to it now and it does behave better for me -- way less trouble with thread kinking, knotting and breaking on me.

We had Open House for high school with Lars on Wednesday morning, and we will have Anders' middle school open house this afternoon.  That's when we meet the teachers and get the supply lists.  So tomorrow we'll be shopping for school supplies in a mobbed office supply store.  Meanwhile, in addition to the open house today, I have a doctor's appointment, the piano tuner is coming, and Anders has a birthday party to attend this evening. Busy, busy day! 

I'm linking up with Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, because I need all the whoop whoops I can get.  Happy stitching and have a great weekend, everyone!

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the applique and also the pineapple blocks which I really, really love

Ramona said...

Your applique block is gorgeous! The colors and fabrics you are using really speak to me. Those pineapple blocks just sing, too. Beautiful!

Laura said...

Your pineapple blocks are beautiful! Of course they take a lot of time, but the quilt will be worth it.

Debbie At The Quilt Journal said...

I would say you have been very productive!! Just beautiful!!

Colleen said...

Love your petals. My kids went back to school Wednesday, and I can't believe how much progress I've made on my current project in just 2 days! Love them, but love some me time during the day. I recently changed to silk thread for my hand piecing projects and love it also. Enjoy your last days of summer break.

a maidenhair fern said...

keep plugging along, little by ilttle. you're making good progress.

Quilter Kathy said...

Your applique block is gorgeous!